Do You Need an Emergency Plumber for a Clogged-Up Toilet?

Clogged-up toilets can occur for many reasons. In some cases, it may be possible for you to deal with the issue yourself and your toilet will begin working again as normal. In other situations, you may face a more serious problem with a blockage in the wastewater pipe. If so, then it may be best to call out an emergency plumber. If not, you could find that the problem gets worse and worse with the eventual outcome of raw sewage from neighbouring properties flowing back into your home via your toilet. This would be a considerable health hazard to all concerned. Therefore, if you have any doubts, calling an emergency plumber out is the right approach. In the meantime, here's what else you can do.

Inspect Your Drainage

If your toilet bowl is full and doesn't drain or only drains slowly, then it may be a localised blockage. To check, remove the inspection pit cover closest to your home and take a look inside. Usually, these covers lift away with very little force. However, if yours is in the street, then it could be heavy and require the services of a plumber to gain access. What you are looking for is standing waste water. If the inspection pit is clear of water, then the blockage is likely to be in your u-bend. On the other hand, if it is full of foul water, it is your drain that is blocked and not the toilet.

Clearing Your U-Bend

There are two ways to clear a clogged-up u-bend. The first is to use a toilet plunger to create a vacuum. This tends to work well if too much toilet paper is in the u-bend. Cover your eyes and hands to avoid foul material splashing back onto you when using a plunger. The other is to break up solid material. Use a wire coat hanger that's been bent in the middle to get it around the bend. This will help you to hook onto anything that is blocking the path of the usual flush. Remember that an emergency plumber can also do this work if you don't have the stomach for it.

Clearing Your Drains

If the problem is in the wastewater drains running from your property, then you'll need drainage rods. Insert them into the inspection pit and push in the direction of the blockage until the water level begins to drop. If this does not work, then you will need a professional plumber with additional equipment to resolve the issue for you.

For more information, contact an emergency plumber near you.